The Kaufman Cards are ideal for building motor-speech coordination for children with apraxia of speech.
The Kaufman apraxia kits employ a systematic treatment approach that controls the level of motor-speech difficulty by simplifying word pronunciation patterns. Each Kaufman speech card displays a series of “successive approximations” of the target word based on least physiological effort. The Kaufman apraxia “word shell” approach is highly effective for quickly building motor-speech coordination and allows children with apraxia to begin progressing immediately from a simple core vocabulary toward becoming effective vocal/verbal communicators.
The Kaufman Speech Praxis Treatment Kit 1 (basic level) contains 225 visual referent speech cards targeting the pivot syllable shapes that children with apraxia of speech need to master to become effective vocal/verbal communicators. The accompanying 52-page manual explains the Kaufman Speech to Language Protocol (K-SLP) methods and how to get children started on the road to combining consonants and vowels to form words.
Children who are having difficulty with the production, synthesis, and/or sequencing of words with /k, g, f, s, sh/ and blends /s, r, l/. (Visual referents most appropriate for children ages 2-6.)
Also see: Kit 2 – Advanced Kaufman apraxia cards.
Each card breaks down the target word into a series of successive word approximations based on least physiological effort. These “word shells” provide a verbal avenue by which children communicate at their own skill level with success!
The Manual Contains:
- Complete Evaluation Hierarchy
- Complete Treatment Hierarchy
- Cueing Techniques
- IEP Goal-Writing Examples
- General Treatment Considerations
Kaufman Treatment Kit 1 Highlights:
- Targets the sounds /p, b, m, t, d, n, h/ to train children to combine consonants and vowels to form words.
- Includes the syllable shapes children need to master to become effective vocal/verbal communicators.
- Contains unique pivot syllables such as “ny” or “dle/do” which are not included in other apraxia treatment materials.
- Durable, brightly illustrated, cards.
- 225 engaging pictures (5″x7″) with color illustration on front and phonemic approximations (word shells) on the reverse side to quickly establish functional vocabulary.
- A fun and durable carrying case with card files color coded and designed for easy pulling and replacing.
- Simple, lax vowels (V).
- Vowel-to-vowel movement (diphthongs) VV.
- Simple consonant production (C).
- Repetitive syllables (CVCV).
- Consonant-to-vowel movement (CV).
- Vowel-to-consonant movement (VCV).
- Repetitive syllables with vowel change (CV1CV2).
- Simple monosyllables with assimilation (CVC).
- Simple consonant synthesis (C/CVC/CVC).
- Simple bisyllabics with consonant and vowel change (C1V1C2V2).
For further information, click here to visit the Northern Speech Services site